I believe Jamie Foxx did a great job in playing the lead role in this film but I have to say that Leonardo DiCaprio stole the show in his role as Mr. Candie!!! I’ve always been a fan of Leonardo but there was something about his acting in this particular film that perfectly depicted the seesaw switch between playing the role of a sometimes charming southerner to a sick and twisted masochistic lunatic. Calvin Candie is the owner of “Candy Land” which is a huge plantation that is surrounded by African-American slaves who he can be somewhat affectionate towards should they stay in line. However, if one slips up, Mr. Candie makes it quite clear that the punishment isn’t worth the risk, which keeps most of these slaves on their toes at all times.
**SPOILER ALERT**
I’ve been hearing that the dinner scene where Mr. Candie pulls out the clean skull of his former butler and decides to saw it and cuts his hand was actually improvised! Apparently, he really did cut his hand and just continued with the scene. So, when he rubs his bleeding hand over the beautiful Kerry Washington’s face (Broomhilda)…that’s actually his REAL blood! When I heard this it made the movie even that much better. I love watching movies and shows where the real magic happens not rehearsed. The adrenaline of dealing with such an injury on set must have helped contribute to his phenomenal acting in this scene because I remember sitting on the edge of my seat in awe of what might happen next.
Kudos must also be given to the wonderfully captivating Christopher Waltz who played Dr. King Shultz who made me laugh with his spicy, quick-witted repertoire. I love the camaraderie between him and Django and how he had given Django a chance at freedom and assisted him in helping retrieve his long lost wife, Broomhilda.
And who could forget Samuel L. Jackson's character as the right-hand-slave-man to Mr. Candie, "Uncle Tom"? His rendition of this butt-kissing , sassy character made me not only laugh but also incredibly irritated with his brown-nosing.
My friend said it best. This movie helped touch all emotions. Anger, Happiness, Sadness, Laughter. Which, does make for a good movie! I give it ...


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.