Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fighting For Love





Dukes Up!



So last week I got into a discussion with a friend about fighting for love. We were breaking down the lyrics to Boyz II Men’s “End of the Road” 90’s hit.  As much as I love that song, my thoughts on it changed in high school when I got hit with a different perspective from my Sex Ed teacher, Mrs. Blais.
Now, not sure if anyone from my Grade 10 Sex Ed class remembers how she broke down the lyrics in such an unflattering light. The once looked at passionate riffs and deep voice smooth breakdown that made all the young ladies in class see hearts in their eyes…

was now seen as a whiney stalker-ish  man who won’t seem to let go of a girl who once loved him but has decided to move on. And boy oh boy do they stress that they caaaaaan't let goooooooo!!!


It could be that my teacher has twisted the perception to her own liking but upon picking the lyrics apart, it could be interpreted as the latter quite easily. Either way, I will never view the song the same again. I now have mixed opinions of this once dearly loved slow jam.



I could also feel this way seeing as I’ve had a person I know act quite insane believing I was in love with them when there was absolutely no reason to come to this conclusion and I had to file a police report about it.


I bring this up because this is what started the convo with my friend about fighting for love. He asked if I believe in it. I told him I do believe in fighting for love, but of course there are times when you need to stop and pull back and really assess the situation for what it is. The topic of conversation came up once again when Lincoln posted a blog about Chad Ochocinco & Evelyn Lozada’s rollercoaster romance and his lame attempt to win her back by tatting her face on his shin (post violent head-but). Some people believe this is a romantic gesture. Some think it’s just plain crazy…which is what I personally believe.


Here’s the thing folks…relationships are hard. Marriages, even harder. Throw some kids in the mix and you are in for a challenging ride. But, with all that challenge there are some amazing rewards if the two parties are willing to work for it. That’s right …BOTH parties. Not one making the effort while the other sits there and takes advantage. When you have a relationship that is filled with love, great communication and support…OF COURSE fighting for a relationship is worth it when you reach a hiccup. BUT, if the course of your relationship is fighting, constant arguing and even physical/mental abuse…time to call it quits, or as my friend poetically said  “Take them gloves off”.

It takes two to fight, but once one walks away, it’s not always considered a forfeit. Sometimes that’s the defining moment when you realize you are no longer a fighter and realize your worth in becoming a champion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.