Wednesday, September 5, 2012

You Are Accountable For Your Own Happiness


Ok, here I am once again...

In front of my laptop with my Word document open. Why is it so hard to express my thoughts sometimes? Why do I start something and have such a hard time completing the process? Who and what is stopping me from moving forward in utilizing the gifts that God has given me? Me, Myself and I.

It could have been the movie "Sparkle" that helped motivate me. The story of a girl who lived in her older sister's singing sensational shadow as a back-up singer who eventually got her time to showcase her songwriting abilities. The only thing that hid her beneath her sibling's wings was her inability to believe and share with others her gift of song.




Or maybe it was Mr. Lincoln's Anthony Blade's recent blog last week about making a pledge to take a step closer to achieving your dreams.



Hmmmm ya, I'm pretty sure that helped big time.

But what I really wanted to write about today was being accountable for your own happiness. It's a concept that I can honestly say I had a hard time grasping as my whimsical hippie-esque friend had once mentioned to me in one of the darker moments of my life. Being highly peeved, agitated and irritated with people, work, love, finances, etc made it easy to pass blame. The idea that these things were making me unhappy made it easier to not have to look in the mirror and be accountable for the person standing in front of it. Now, of course, we are all allowed to be upset and frustrated. We are allowed to feel what we feel. It's how we deal with those feelings that are the tricky part.

I see it over and over again. Some people love drama. Some people love to be stressed out. Some people want to have problems to complain about. As hard as it is for some to visualize, it's very true. It's not that this person has bad luck or attracts problems. It's how they deal with their problems, which makes the difference in hindering their progress. Life wasn't created so that we could float on by without running into any challenges or collisions. Life was designed so that we could grow and turn into the best person that we could be for ourselves. How can we be that amazing person if we have never learned how to deal with adversity? It's so easy to fall back into a routine of passing blame on circumstances instead of changing the circumstances in how we deal with them.

We sometimes feel like if "IF I just had that ONE thing...I'd be happy". 
Really? 

I bet you are wrong and don’t even know it. One thing isn't going to determine your happiness alone. For example...financial freedom is one of the most common things I hear people say would make them happy. Yet, there are millionaires who commit suicide and end up feeling entirely alone. So, I say fix what is going on inside of you. If you yearn for riches...try to make due or be happy with the finances you have been blessed with. Or if there is a way to increase your wealth, do the hard work it entails in order to get that extra cash. It really could be worse. Instead of looking for what you DON'T have...look for what God has already blessed you with.

If you have a toxic friend that is draining your energy, than end that relationship.. If you are unhappy in your job, than pursue one that makes you happy. If you are unhappy in your homelife/worklife than change your environment.  When you realize that you are the only person that is stopping you from achieving your full potential of happiness, maybe than, you will realize that the first step is pointing the finger that once was directed towards others, towards yourself. Sounds too simple? Guess what? That's because it is. The hardest part is realizing that the only person blocking you in your road to happiness… is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.