Thursday, September 2, 2010

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

As I mentioned in the previous blog entry, I was going through a list of romantic movies and found some recommendations that I have never seen yet. I have heard so much raves about the 1996 movie "Romeo + Juliet" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes but I've only been able to see snips of it here and there. It was one of those movies that I made plans to watch, but just never seemed to get around to doing it.



I'm glad I made the time last night to watch it. I think Baz Luhman did an excellent job of remaking this infamous love-story. The idea of telling the same story that was created by Shakespeare in the 1500’s but placed in modern day, while retaining the original dialogue is genius! My only regret is not watching it sooner!

Two families rival while two lovers who should be foes fall in love. This tragic story has been the portrait of true romance  (as morbid as it is). Leonardo and Claire …these two have chemistry! This is what I’m talking about. This is what I like to see. Leonardo did an amazing job in playing love-struck Romeo who is smitten with Juliet. While, Claire does a fantastic job in convincing us she is the giddy, dreamy, yet rebellious Juliet.

I absolutely looooove the song “Kissing You” performed by Des’ree that was used in the costume ball scene.  It actually goes with the movie so well, especially because it looks like Leonardo is such a great kisser! :)  What passion and intensity! Sigh…

I added this video I found on youtube, which uses the song and snippets of the movie. Shout out to “sevendre4ms “ for creating it!



I give this movie…

Well-Directed, Passionate, Fabulous re-make




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.