Sunday, August 8, 2010

Julie & Julia

So, I finally got to finish watching the movie Julie & Julia last night. My thoughts...
While I believe I know better than to sit here and pick apart a movie that doesn't seem to be a top office smash, I would say to have no great expectations about watching this film. I'm not sure what exactly possessed me to want to watch this movie, but I'm glad I did. It had some cute moments. Very much a "chick flick"but not exactly a movie you'd care to go watch with all your girlfriends. More so a lazy Sunday afternoon delight to pass time. 

Meryl Streep did a great job of playing the role of Julia Child (but would you expect anything less? She's Meryl Streep...duh). Her husband in the film was played by her fellow co-star from "The Devil Wears Prada"(Stanley Tucci). It was interesting to see him as her lover, but I did find the dynamic and love between the two did seem genuine and sincere. Which leads me to mention Amy Adams who also did a good job of playing a doe-eyed ambitious yet sweet Julie Powell. Her husband in the film was an actor I had not recognized before (Chris Messina) but again, the love between the two was admirable to watch. I would have to say the supportive relationships between both couples in this film made it more pleasurable.

 I was a tad disappointed in the ending. I was hoping for something a smidge more heartwarming and fuzzy, but was left hoping there would be more. I guess I can't expect too much Hallmark moments seeing as it is based on a true story.  It is unfortunate that in real life the ending didn't quite justify all the hardwork that Julie Powell was doing with her Blog. I guess the whole point of the movie is to do things for yourself, not for recognition. 

I give this movie...
Cute and light, but not very Capivating.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.