And this is how I spent the last two hours as I watched "My Sister's Keeper". I had heard that it was a sad story so I was mentally prepared, but of course that didn't stop the waterworks.
This movie was based on the novel "My Sister's Keeper" which I haven't read, but now I am curious to pick up the book. The story is about a girl named Anna who was literally "created" so that she would have the right organs to save her older sister, Kate, who has cancer. Anna ends up taking her parents to court so that she can be medically emancipated from donating organs to her sister. All her life she grew up giving blood and having parts of her organs transplanted to Kate. The mother, Sara, played by Cameron Diaz can't understand why her youngest daughter would want to stop helping her older sister who can die without her assistance. Anna's argument is that "I am important too!" and is aware that after all the medical procedures, she may never live a normal life. But, unbeknownst to her mother, Anna has a secret reason for her decision.
I have to give a shout out to Sofia Vassilieva. I don't recall seeing her in any other movies as she is a young actress, but I think she did a great job of playing Kate. I understand that Anna's role is the starring one, but Kate evokes great emotion in playing a young cancer patient who has made peace with her situation.
I have never lost anyone to cancer so I cannot imagine the painful emotions one must endure as they have to watch someone close to them wither away in passing. This movie did a good job of highlighting many different sides to the mental and physical toll that not only the patient has to endure, but on the family as well.
I give this movie...
Heartfelt & Tear-Jerking


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.